Other Turtle Discussion :: I need to give up the professor

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:53 pm   I need to give up the professor

Hi everyone! I'm looking for a safe place to give up my 5 year old res. I was recently laid off while pregnant and can no longer have the turtle. I've had him for years and I don't want to just throw him on Craigslist or petco where anyone can get him. I'd rather he go somewhere safe with someone knowledgeable of sliders.

Does anyone know of a safe place to donate him in Los Angeles, specifically the 818 area? My vet recommended the animal shelter but the shelter said they'll euthanize him if no one wants him... So I'm keeping him until i find a safer place.
User avatar
2wicky
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Aug 15, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:28 pm   Re: I need to give up the professor

Can I ask why you cannot keep him? I'm asking because if it has to do with your pregnancy, there's no reason you can't keep him as long as you're careful to wash after handling and tank maintenance.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
User avatar
jenaero
Moderator
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:12 pm   Re: I need to give up the professor

Nothing to do with cleanliness. I've had him for years and am aware of washing my hands and keeping the tank clean. It's more to do with the upkeep. He's due for another tank upgrade. He's now bigger than my (tiny) hands and he's only in a 40 breeder. The tank, stand, filter alone would be so much. When I got him I didn't think of money issues coming up. I'm keeping him until I can find a safe place.
User avatar
2wicky
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Aug 15, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:57 pm   Re: I need to give up the professor

I'm sorry to hear that. I know how tough it is to have to give up a pet. Google for reptile rescues in your area. If there's no luck with that, you could put an ad up online and take your time choosing the right person to take him. Good luck :)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
User avatar
jenaero
Moderator
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:25 am   Re: I need to give up the professor

How about Craigslist for an inexpensive certified pre-owned tank? (sorry its that time of year for extra car commercials where they won't say "used"). There's deals on large tanks and filters that pop up on craigslist all the time - check the for free section. There's almost always someone happy to give away an aquarium they no longer need or want.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:49 pm   Re: I need to give up the professor

Always around the holidays I see someone giving away / selling a tank they don't need because they got an upgrade.

Wishing you the best of luck finding something for your turtle, or finding a home for him.
Outside Pond Boys: :mrgreen:Timmy & Chewy & Ike
Outside Pond Girls: :msgreen:Betty & Frick & Frack & Tina & Nyrtle-Sweetpea
Inside Tank: :mrgreen:Sheldon :msgreen: Mork :msgreen: Mindy
Nursery: :?: Baby Timmy & Ranger
User avatar
apondfortimmy
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Sep 8, 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:21 pm   Re: I need to give up the professor

What about family... anyone nearby? If you have a male, you can get a 55 gallon for $55 or cheaper and that could probably be a decent forever home.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:02 pm   Re: I need to give up the professor

There's a lady in Montecito, near Santa Barbara that has a huge turtle rescue facility Turtle Dreams 805-969-4609. There is also this article about the place at this link: http://voices.yahoo.com/the-montecito-t ... 07715.html
Watch the turtle. He only moves forward by sticking his neck out.
User avatar
marilynjean
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Dec 30, 2012
Location: southern California
Gender: Female


Return to Other Turtle Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 127 guests