Other Turtle Discussion :: World Water Day

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:40 am   World Water Day

So Word Water Day got me thinking...

Is turtle water 'plant friendly'?
I'm think of using my turtle's dirty tank water for my plants but I'm not quite sure if its a good idea... Any thoughts about this?
k23
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Jun 9, 2011
Location: Brunei Darussalam

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:21 pm   Re: World Water Day

Do these plants produce fruits or veggies that you would eat? If so, then definitely not. The turtle water will contaminent the plant with salmonella which is harmless to the plant, but it will also spread to the fruit which would then spread to anyome that eats the fruit.

As for the plant itself, if the water is high in amonia or nitrate it could be harmful to the plant. Plants need nitrates, but too much could kill the plants. Also if the water is high in phosphates it could harm the plants. Plants also need phosphates, but again too much can be harmful.

I personally would not like to water my plants with dirty turtle water.

-Michael
Sweeney & Pascal - RES Hatchlings & Martha - 2 yo YBS
Find out more about us at our - Turtle Blog & TurtleCam
michaelg
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Feb 12, 2012
Location: Southeast Georgia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:16 am   Re: World Water Day

These are couple sites with people who have asked similar questions. I never thought of using it but it sounds as if it works. I would never use it on my vegetables or fruits because they do carry salmonella. If you are looking to conserve water you can do what I do, I put out a bucket and after it rains for a long time I have a lot of water and thats what I use to water my plants. But sometimes you have to wait awhile for a good rain.
http://www.douggreensgarden.com/aquariu ... water.html
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/view ... pid=210070
Just like a turtle, we only make progress if we stick our neck out.~ James B. Conant
tmay1917
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Feb 23, 2012
Location: Southern Illinois
Gender: Female


Return to Other Turtle Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 78 guests